turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heathe69-

Need help filing nothing has changed from my last years return except one dependant but when i did my own it was way off

i want to file my taxes exactly the same theres no change except one dependant my daughter who works and files her own taxes now 

when i tried to file my own my end amount was way off can  i some how submit a copy of my irs transcripts for last year ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Need help filing nothing has changed from my last years return except one dependant but when i did my own it was way off

Losing your daughter as a dependent could make a big difference in your taxes, especially if you had credits that you lost and were unable to file as Head of Household (because of no dependents).

We can not examine your return or look at your transcripts.  You may want to consider upgrading to turbotaxlive.  In the mean time, check your return against last years and see if any of the following might have made your refund change.

• Your child turned 17 in 2017, causing you to lose the $1,000 Child Tax Credit;
  • Your child turned 19 in 2017 (or 24, if a full-time student) and no longer qualifies as a dependent;
  • You paid off your mortgage and can no longer deduct mortgage interest;
  • You took the itemized deduction last year (for example because of high medical bills) but got the standard deduction this year;
  • You didn't qualify for the Earned Income Credit this year;
  • You paid off your student loan and can no longer deduct the interest;
  • You're no longer eligible for certain education credits (or you took a different credit this year)
  • You didn't contribute to a Traditional IRA (or couldn't take the full deduction because your income was too high).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Losing your daughter as a dependent could make a big difference in your taxes, especially if you had credits that you lost and were unable to file as Head of Household (because of no dependents).

We can not examine your return or look at your transcripts.  You may want to consider upgrading to turbotaxlive.  In the mean time, check your return against last years and see if any of the following might have made your refund change.

• Your child turned 17 in 2017, causing you to lose the $1,000 Child Tax Credit;
  • Your child turned 19 in 2017 (or 24, if a full-time student) and no longer qualifies as a dependent;
  • You paid off your mortgage and can no longer deduct mortgage interest;
  • You took the itemized deduction last year (for example because of high medical bills) but got the standard deduction this year;
  • You didn't qualify for the Earned Income Credit this year;
  • You paid off your student loan and can no longer deduct the interest;
  • You're no longer eligible for certain education credits (or you took a different credit this year)
  • You didn't contribute to a Traditional IRA (or couldn't take the full deduction because your income was too high).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies