Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife's W2 has in box 14 "ORSTTW - $43,980.89". The SW automatically set this as the Oregon Statewide Transit tax. This is actually the WAGES for it.

Since the software mis-handled the ORSTTW in box 14, it reported an additional $43,980 in state taxes paid. This could get someone in trouble if it was the difference in hitting the max SALT for itemized deductions. Please fix it! ORSTT was the line below it and that was the correct Oregon Statewide Transit Tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife's W2 has in box 14 "ORSTTW - $43,980.89". The SW automatically set this as the Oregon Statewide Transit tax. This is actually the WAGES for it.

Yep, and the "Category" selection is different depending on whether you are using the Online software vs Desktop software.   

Here's what I tell people who post here and actually notice the problem....for the others that do not realize it was wrong.., they are Screwed and facing an eventual amended tax return mess!..

IF There is one entry for the smaller amount (ORSTTT).....the Turbotax Category you select is "ORSTT W/H"  where "W/H" = withholding  ................(or select "Oregon Statewide Transit Tax" if you are using the desktop software)

(.....but I'm not sure the other one (ORSTTW) "wages" should even be there in box 14 at all......but I guess that's something for the Oregon tax EA's/CPAs to fight.....)

IF&when you do enter the larger ORSTTW $$ amount make sure you select (I guess) "Other not on above list"...that's probably what you needed to select 

BUT..it will only happen for Oregon W-2 forms that have the wages in box 14......I'm not sure that all W-2 forms will have the wages there...but all should have the Tax itself there.

I informed TTX (offline) that this will be a MAJOR problem, and I'll add your post to it too. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Yep, and the "Category" selection is different depending on whether you are using the Online software vs Desktop software.   

Here's what I tell people who post here and actually notice the problem....for the others that do not realize it was wrong.., they are Screwed and facing an eventual amended tax return mess!..

IF There is one entry for the smaller amount (ORSTTT).....the Turbotax Category you select is "ORSTT W/H"  where "W/H" = withholding  ................(or select "Oregon Statewide Transit Tax" if you are using the desktop software)

(.....but I'm not sure the other one (ORSTTW) "wages" should even be there in box 14 at all......but I guess that's something for the Oregon tax EA's/CPAs to fight.....)

IF&when you do enter the larger ORSTTW $$ amount make sure you select (I guess) "Other not on above list"...that's probably what you needed to select 

BUT..it will only happen for Oregon W-2 forms that have the wages in box 14......I'm not sure that all W-2 forms will have the wages there...but all should have the Tax itself there.

I informed TTX (offline) that this will be a MAJOR problem, and I'll add your post to it too. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

It doesn't show up on all of them because only the smaller number showed up on my W2. I thought this submission was going to TurboTax so they could work on a fix. Hopefully they read these?
alvarg2

employer put 23,000 wages in the box14 as OR STT wages  and originally Turbo Tax put it under State taxes paid for oregon ! i was getting a refund of $400 then the next time i signed on it changed on its own and now i owe $93 to state! this was confusing .. employer prob should not put that in box 14 and Turbo Tax must have caught the mistake but luckily i didnt file my taxes yet .. I spent a loing time researching this... looks like it might be a problem for others...
alhelmly

Hi Everyone - I have the same issue in Box 14, where my employer put both the TAX on one line and the WAGES on which the transit tax was computed, on another line.  So....should we not put the WAGES in Box 14 in Turbo Tax and only put the TAX there?  What is everyone doing on this issue?  

I overrode the explanation for the wages line to "Other - not listed"
alhelmly

So....you put the WAGES amount in Box 14, but showed it as "Other - not listed"....?

Correct.
tmgibs696

Intuit's idea of fixing this problem is to prefill the two items on the W-2 screen then tell you it's wrong on the next, "but you can choose something else" other than "other" if you want to. ; {

JXX
Level 1

Turbo Tax has a problem with the Oregon State Transit Tax AGAIN!  Transit tax does get reported on the W-2 in box 14, both the wages and tax withheld.  It would seem logical to select Oregon Statewide Transit Tax in the dropdown box, but by doing so, Turbo Tax calls it State Mandatory Taxes and adds it to Other Income Taxes.  BIG ERROR!  Select "Other (not classified)".  Fix it TT!

I went back to the W2 information and removed the line that shows income in box 14, but it did not change anything on the overview page (where it has the blue link for the ridiculously high dollar amount for "Other Income Taxes"). 

Mine still shows over 3 times the amount of our Federal Withholding for 2023 on the last line "State mandatory taxes" which is obviously incorrect.

Is there a way to fix this in the forms?

I fixed it by "Update" on each of our W2 forms, and removed any entries in Box 14 that were not actually amounts withheld from our income. Now the State Mandatory taxes shows $136 instead of over $38,000.

cheryld3

So glad I discovered this error before filing our taxes. TurboTax needs to fix this ASAP.

JXX
Level 1

Turbo Tax has been hearing this for years and does nothing to fix the problem or provide information about Box 14 entries.  In Oregon, employers are required to enter in Box 14, the Statewide Transit Tax withheld, but they are not required to enter Paid Leave Oregon.  However, many do.  STT is not a deductible tax, and Paid Leave Oregon is not technically a tax.  If you choose to enter them from your W-2, select the description of "other (not classified).  If you choose Oregon Statewide Transit Tax or Oregon Paid Leave, TT will add it to your total deductible taxes.  You may be amending your return if you don't get this right.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies