turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax return keeps getting rejected for incorrect AGI value, even though I'm putting the correct AGI number from last year's tax return.

My tax return was filed late last year - I opted for mailing in a hard copy.. However a couple months later I recieved a letter in the mail from the IRS, saying I was missing a couple documents, and needed to fax them over. It was finally accepted and I recieved my refund check (for the 2021 tax year) in April 2023. 

I'm currentlty doing my 2022 taxes (Californians have until Oct 16 to submit them), and I was able to download my 2021 tax return off the IRS website to get my AGI. 

Unfortunatly however, my state and federal return keeps getting rejected, with the error being: "Reject Code IND-031-04 - Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)". I've quadruple checked, and have entered my AGI from last year's return (Which was obviosly correct/accepted).  I event put the value of 0, but it's still not being accepted.  I've read that if you were late submitting last year's return, then the AGI number is often times not accepted. 

What can/should I do!? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
xmasbaby0
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

My tax return keeps getting rejected for incorrect AGI value, even though I'm putting the correct AGI number from last year's tax return.

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2021 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2021 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

use zero and see if that works 

yeah i mentioned in my post that I have tried putting zero but still no acceptance 😕

xmasbaby0
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2021 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2021 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Wow thanks for the comprehensive response!!

I’ve already tried the “0” method with no luck. But I will go ahead check the “didn’t file last year” box to see if that will allow me to skirt around the problem. 

🫶🏻

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies