turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax return got rejected because I was claimed as a dependent even though I am an independent who lives on my own!

I am 18 years old and my old foster dad who kicked me out at 18 years old claimed me as a dependent even though I live by myself and now I can't get my tax refund that I worked for.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My tax return got rejected because I was claimed as a dependent even though I am an independent who lives on my own!

You will have to print and mail your tax return since the IRS has already received a return with your SS number.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print and mail a return when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

The IRS will process your tax return regardless of the other tax return.

Within a year the IRS will mail both parties letters requesting proof of who was eligible to be claimed as a dependent or not.  The loser of the investigation has to pay back any refund received due to the improper claiming plus interest and penalties.

If you are certain that you cannot be claimed as someone else's dependent, you can print sign and mail your own return and let the IRS sort it out.   If you were claimed on someone else's return you will not be able to e-file this year; the IRS will not accept another e-filed return with your SSN on it unless your says you can be claimed.

You do not, however, say how long ago you moved out of that home.   It is possible that you could be claimed -- here is the criteria that is used:

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2023 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,700 in 2023.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

If you can be claimed as a dependent, you can still file a tax return to seek a refund of federal and state tax that were withheld from your paychecks.  But you will need to say in My Info that someone else can claim you as a dependent.  The rule is if you CAN be claimed, you must say that on your own tax return.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies