Solved: My tax return from 2015 shows a 4000 dollar child tax credit. Why in 2016 is it only showing 3000 when I am claiming the same children?

amore2015

My tax return from 2015 shows a 4000 dollar child tax credit. Why in 2016 is it only showing 3000 when I am claiming the same children?

Hal_Al

One turned 17. This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $1000 CTC.

Hal_Al