Solved: My tax return from 2015 shows a 4000 dollar child tax credit. Why in 2016 is it only showing 3000 when I am claiming the same children?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amore2015

My tax return from 2015 shows a 4000 dollar child tax credit. Why in 2016 is it only showing 3000 when I am claiming the same children?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My tax return from 2015 shows a 4000 dollar child tax credit. Why in 2016 is it only showing 3000 when I am claiming the same children?

One turned 17. This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $1000 CTC.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

One turned 17. This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. A child over age 16 no longer qualifies for the Child Tax credit (CTC). Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, and a qualifying child for EIC,  the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17 and you no longer get the $1000 CTC.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings