Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

balatlinusret
Returning Member

My tax extension form (Form 4868) sent by USPS certified mail is still in transit in Kansas City. What should I do?

Hi. On April 14, I mailed a form 4868 to apply for tax extension. I am a non-resident alien and this is my first year in the US. Since I do not have yet SSN or ITIN, I had to apply for tax extension. I sent it last week to Internal Revenue Service center in Kansas City in MO via USPS certified mail. However, the USPS tracking system still shows that  it has been still in transit since April 17. Last movement is that "Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility in Kansas City. I have a doubt that it might have been lost. I filed a missing mail at USPS.com.

What can I do now? I do not owe any taxes, actually I will get some refund. However, the deadline was April 18. Do I need to mail another document  to IRS with certified mail receipt? How can I learn if the IRS office received and processed my tax extension application?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DCL117

My tax extension form (Form 4868) sent by USPS certified mail is still in transit in Kansas City. What should I do?

Your filing of the form 4868, along with any additional tax payment, if there are any, gives you until Oct 15, 2022, to file your return for 2021. In your case you stated you expect a refund for your overpayment. If you were to find for any reason an error on your tax preparation work, and owe money, send in the payment as soon as possible to stop the clock on any penalties. File as soon as you get the missing information before Oct. 15, 2022, and all will be good! 

@balatlinusret 

IRS goes by the Post Mark on the envelope containing your Form 4868.

By that measure, you filed on time, or as the IRS likes to say, timely.

It could take ten days or longer to go though the mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies