Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My state tax refund is way lesser than last year

Could cancel my file and file it again ?
2 Replies
Level 15

My state tax refund is way lesser than last year

No if you e-filed you cannot cancel it.   If you made some kind of mistake on your state return you can amend it later after it has been processed.  But first figure out why it is less.   Compare the amounts in boxes 16 and 17 on your 2019 and 2020 W-2s.   Are they different?  Did you receive unemployment in 2020---some states tax unemployment so if you received that without having state tax withheld it affected your state refund,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Expert Alumni

My state tax refund is way lesser than last year

There are two factors that will determine the size of your state refund (or what you owe).

  1. The total amount of income that you have.
  2. The amount you had withheld from your wages.

Your income determines the amount of tax you owe.  This not only includes your wages, but also any other type of income you may have had.  Based on criteria established by the IRS there are tables that determine the amount of tax that you owe.


The amount you had withheld generally come from your W-2 income; however, taxes can be withheld from other forms of income.  If the taxes withheld is more than what you owe you will get a refund.  If not, you will owe money.


I first suggest that you go back into your tax return and make sure that you have entered all of your state tax income and withholdings.


As long as you have not filed your return you do have the option to Clear and start over.

I do not recommend this, but it will work.


  1. On the menu bar on the left that shows.
    1. My Info
    2. Federal
    3. State
    4. Review
    5. File
  2. Select Tax Tools
  3. On the drop down select Tools
  4. On the Pop-Up menu select Clear and Start Over
  5. Caution:  Be sure that this is what you want to do.
  6. Select Yes
  7. This will complete the process.

Clear and Start over


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings