turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My state return didn't e-file. How do I go back and do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is it telling you that the state return is "incomplete"?

The state return can say "incomplete" if you already efiled the Federal return by itself and it has not yet been accepted, or if some of the state forms were not available when you tried to efile it at the same time as efiling the Federal return.  If it says "incomplete", your state return has NOT been efiled.  You will have to come back later to file it.

If you mailed the Federal return, then the State return cannot be efiled.  It would have to be filed by mail, too.

You can check on the availability of state forms here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per... 

If your Federal return has already been efiled, you will have to wait until the Federal return has been accepted before you can efile the State return.    The IRS will not start processing returns until January 23, so soon after that date you should hear if your Federal return is accepted or rejected.  (A few returns will be pulled by the IRS before then for testing purposes so some people may get an early acceptance/rejection notice.)

So once your Federal return has been accepted (if efiled), and once all your state forms are available, you can then go back and open up your State return to complete it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

NOTE:  When you come back to your account to finish and file your return, you may see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up:
  • Scroll to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.

trozfast

Tells me waiting for a state form and to check back later. Now the form is in but Turbo tax want to charge me to e file. I bought the deluxe with Federal and State returns.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an old thread that may have outdated information. 

Some forms may not be available which can cause this message.  Please see the Help Article here to look up your specific state or federal forms.

@trozfast

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies