Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My spouse died in Nov/2020. Because I always file married but separate went ahead

Mine are done and pending for 2020 as I efiled. He only has pandemic unemp to claim. (Taxes were taken out for that upfront.)
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MayaD
Expert Alumni

My spouse died in Nov/2020. Because I always file married but separate went ahead

Yes, you can file his return as Married filing separately.

Taxpayers whose spouses died during the tax year are considered married for the entire year, provided they did not remarry. The surviving spouse is eligible to file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

If filing Married filing separately, the deceased spouse's filing status becomes Married Filing Separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

That whole post was jumbled all to heck and back.

Original question is:

My husband died in Nov of 2020. I without thinking because i usually always file married but separate went ahead and did my 2020 taxes married but separate in Jan and already efiled. Is it ok to file his also married but separate?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file his return as Married filing separately.

Taxpayers whose spouses died during the tax year are considered married for the entire year, provided they did not remarry. The surviving spouse is eligible to file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

If filing Married filing separately, the deceased spouse's filing status becomes Married Filing Separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much!

Have a great day.

D

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies