Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My spouse and I are legally married. She has SS# but it say on top of the SS# "valid for work only with DHS authorization" Can she still use this SS# to file taxes?

My spouse and I are legally married. She has SS# but it say on top of the SS# "valid for work only with DHS authorization" Can she still use this SS# to file taxes even though the work permit has expired?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My spouse and I are legally married. She has SS# but it say on top of the SS# "valid for work only with DHS authorization" Can she still use this SS# to file taxes?

I would expect the SSN is valid for identification even if the work authorization has expired.  The IRS uses it for tracking income, not authorization to work (and the IRS is quite happy to collect and pay taxes on "illegal" income).

Thanks, that's what I thought because she uses it to open a bank account already!!
mjelysee

was nothing else required after you submitted the tax return to be sent to IRS ? everything went through by just putting that SSN with the DHS written on it ?, if not, what did you need to do after in order to get it processed completely and get your return amount successfully

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies