turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My sons father owes me back child support. I owe back student loans. When he files, will I get the money, or will it go to the loans, or is there an app or site to find o

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Bees
Level 7

My sons father owes me back child support. I owe back student loans. When he files, will I get the money, or will it go to the loans, or is there an app or site to find o

You can contact the Bureau of Fiscal Services to see if there is an offset lien against you. The child support from his offset will go to the state agency for Children's Services.

BFS will send you a notice if an offset occurs. The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency. BFS will notify the IRS of the amount taken from your refund. You should contact the agency shown on the notice if you believe you do not owe the debt or if you are disputing the amount taken from your refund. If you do not receive a notice:

• Contact the BFS’s TOP call center at 800-304-3107 or TDD 866-297-0517, Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

No app or site I'm aware of exists for that. But if your student loans are in collections, it's a fair bet you'll not see that money. However, if it's child support you *might*, whereas if it were alimony you would never see it until the loan debts are paid. But of course, that's only if you're in default on the student loans.
Bees
Level 7

You can contact the Bureau of Fiscal Services to see if there is an offset lien against you. The child support from his offset will go to the state agency for Children's Services.

BFS will send you a notice if an offset occurs. The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency. BFS will notify the IRS of the amount taken from your refund. You should contact the agency shown on the notice if you believe you do not owe the debt or if you are disputing the amount taken from your refund. If you do not receive a notice:

• Contact the BFS’s TOP call center at 800-304-3107 or TDD 866-297-0517, Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies