Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son turned 18 in December 2023 and is a full time highschool student. The Turbotax program will not let me claim him on my taxes even though we provide all living exp

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My son turned 18 in December 2023 and is a full time highschool student. The Turbotax program will not let me claim him on my taxes even though we provide all living exp

Go back and delete the child under My Info. Then enter them again. Watch the questions. Be sure you say their ssn is valid for employment.

Then was at least half of child's expenses paid by CHILD? Usually is NO, Child didn't pay for more than half of their living expenses.

Not sure why you think you cannot claim your teenage son.   You do know, of course, that you do not get the child tax credit ---that ends when they turn 17.  You can still claim your 18 year old as a qualified child and get the $500 credit for other dependents.  Look on line 19 of your Form 1040.    If you do not see it, you have answered something incorrectly about him in MY INFO.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Review the personal dependent information section. You must have answered something wrong. 

The answer is yes I paid more than of half his living expenses. Also can be rejected if he made more than $4700 for his own income if he is not listed as a full time student.  Either way best to delete and start over with the dependent in question.  Follow Turbo Tax questions on being a student.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies