Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OWL23X-s
Returning Member

My son lived with me for 9 months, but is filing his own taxes, do i list him as a dependent

he moved out sometime in September and is filing his own taxes, but do i still list him or take him off completely?  I'm ending up having to repay on Obama care/the marketplace because i deleted him as a dependent since it didn't give me an option to say he's claiming him self
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My son lived with me for 9 months, but is filing his own taxes, do i list him as a dependent

If he is claiming his own exemption, you can not also claim him. So, you just delete him.

But,  the real question is: is he allowed to claim himself. There is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim his own exemption. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $6300), he can & should still file taxes; he just doesn’t get his own $4000 exemption (deduction). In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled

2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support

3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

A person can still be an other dependent (Qualifying relative in IRS parlance, even though they do not have to actually be related), if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with you ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,000 (2015)

3. You must have provided more than 1/2 his support (note the difference in the support test for a QC)

In either case:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

If he qualifies as your dependent  has filed a return, claiming himself, he will need to file an amended return, unclaiming himself, so that you can claim him. You do no need to wait until his amended return is fully processed, to claim him on your return. But, you cannot e-file. You will have to mail in a paper return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If he is claiming his own exemption, you can not also claim him. So, you just delete him.

But,  the real question is: is he allowed to claim himself. There is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim his own exemption. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $6300), he can & should still file taxes; he just doesn’t get his own $4000 exemption (deduction). In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled

2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support

3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

A person can still be an other dependent (Qualifying relative in IRS parlance, even though they do not have to actually be related), if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with you ALL year

2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,000 (2015)

3. You must have provided more than 1/2 his support (note the difference in the support test for a QC)

In either case:

4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico

5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own

6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

If he qualifies as your dependent  has filed a return, claiming himself, he will need to file an amended return, unclaiming himself, so that you can claim him. You do no need to wait until his amended return is fully processed, to claim him on your return. But, you cannot e-file. You will have to mail in a paper return.

johnmd96

Thank you so much, that was a great help and turns out we did his taxes right (my only issue was mine) thanks again
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies