Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mom-seli

My son Eli 7Was diagnosed with ODD, ASD Autism spectrum disorder, ADHD I am trying to get SS Disability for him but having hard time So how would I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My son Eli 7Was diagnosed with ODD, ASD Autism spectrum disorder, ADHD I am trying to get SS Disability for him but having hard time So how would I file?

Just enter him as a dependent as you normally would.  You can check the box for disabled but since he is under the age of 19 it will not have any affect on your tax return.

Claim your child as a dependent on your tax return.   But...there are no special credits or deductions on your federal tax return for saying that your seven year old child is disabled.   Your state laws might be different.   

If you have medical expenses or expenses for special schooling, etc. as a result of the issues, you can enter medical expenses if you are itemizing deductions.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

You can claim your minor son as a dependent for purposes of the Child Tax Credit. Claiming a child as a dependent generally requires that they live with you for more than half the year, they don't provide more than half of their own financial support, and are under the age of 19, or under 24 if a full-time student. Please see this tax tips article for more information on claiming dependents.

If your child eventually receives Social Security payments, they are the child's income and not taxable to you. See this help article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies