s_chappelear

My son did not check that we can claim him as a dependent since he is full time student. how can we claim him

ChristopherP

If he qualifies as your dependent, yet did not check the box stating that someone else can claim him, he will have to amend his return  Even if you did not claim him, he would not be allowed to take the personal exemption if he can be claimed by someone else.

You can claim him on your return, (It may be rejected electronically if his return has already been accepted and you may have to mail it in.)

Hope this Helps! 

ChristopherP

Hope this Helps! 

becky_chappelear

what if our return is processed before his amended return?
ChristopherP

They will most likely issue a letter to each of you with your options.  It really isn't going to make things go any faster either way.  Amendments can take some time as they can't be e-filed.  At least you would have yours on file and ready to go once his was corrected.