Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jims5
Returning Member

My S-corp Federal return is rejected because of a "defect in the tax program". When will TurboTax be updated?

My S-corp federal tax return was rejected.   I've called twice, but the agent was unable to help.  As a backup, said to mail in the Federal return instead of e-filing.
This seems to be linked to my S-corp being a new S-corp, I under Business Info-> Date you incorporated I select Edit.  Then after a few menus select "Yes, it already made the S corporation election" then when I go to file, the program asks to attach Form 2553.  Since I already received the S-Corp election from the IRS, I attached that pdf document.  Then when I filed, it was rejected with the following:

The Description of error:
Every attached file (i.e. binary attachment) must be referenced by the XML document that represents it.

What needs to be done:
This electronic filing reject is the result of a defect in the tax program.  This issue will be corrected in the next TTBiz release.
Wait for the next release, please download the latest version of the program.  It may be necessary to re-attach the PDF file(s) again, save and re-submit the return.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

So, I downloaded the lastest (from 6 days ago).  It stills asks for the Form 2553 (even though it's not needed) and doesn't recognize the version I uploaded previously.  

Now I get a pop-up that says:
We are having difficulty recognizing the data you are sending.  Please try again. - 601ERRV:?, FilingHdr_41.1 - ?:? - Duplicate attachment name detected '/attachment/FORM2553.PDF'.

But there is no way to delete attachments...

Any idea when the software will be updated?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My S-corp Federal return is rejected because of a "defect in the tax program". When will TurboTax be updated?

You will most likely have to contact Support for this issue.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

jims5
Returning Member

As I mentioned, I contacted [phone number removed] twice.  The agents are accountants and contact the internal tech team with no solution to the issue for e-filing.   Seems the only solution (which I recommended to the agent) was to mail in the form since e-filing has this glitch.   They don't know when or if the will be resolved. Looking at previous posts, seems this was an issue for new S-Corps in 2020 too.

Do you know if there is a "tech" number I can call to reach a software technician instead of an accountant?

I think you have to contact regular Support and request an escalation.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

@jims5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies