Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My return keeps getting rejected because my father tried to claim me. I got him to fix it but my taxes still won't get approved. What can I do to get them fixed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My return keeps getting rejected because my father tried to claim me. I got him to fix it but my taxes still won't get approved. What can I do to get them fixed?

Even if he amended his tax filing to correct it...his amended tax return can take several months to get manually processed after he mailed in his amended tax forms (and he does have to mail them in himself).

And even then it can take awhile for the IRS computer systems to sync-up to allow you to e-file.

So your choices are to either:

1)  Switch to file-by-mail and mail yours in too.   

or

2)  File the extension forms that allow you to efile up to ~ 15 October.   If you have an expected balance due, you pay that wiht yoru extension forms now.   Then, after those are submitted, you can continue to try to efile...say, once a month until October...but if it doesn't go thru by mid-Sept....then You'd give up and switch to file by mail anyhow.

If you do end up filing by mail.  Federal and state forms are mailed (by YOU) separately to different addresses....sign/date, attach appropriate copies of any W-2 forms to each, plus any other tax forms that show Federal (or state) withholding.  And when you mail them off, go to the Post Office, use a tracking method, like Certified Mail, ath teh Post Office Service counter. 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

IF you decide to file an extension..there are a bunch of instructions and faq links here  (but I've never done it myself):

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900551-can-irs-extensions-be-e-filed">https://ttlc.intuit.com/que...>
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies