Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My personal info and SSN were stolen. Do I qualify for a Protection PIN?

I was just notified by a company that my name, address, social security number, and loan number were stolen back in November. Do I qualify to get a Protection PIN? And, will I get it before filing my taxes in February? How does that work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

According to IRS. it is taking over three months or longer to get an IP PIN ; that is optimistic.

The backlog used to be much larger.

Getting an IP PIN by April 15 is unlikely.

For most protection. file by 1st or 2nd week in February, if possible.

Don't e-File right away. That can cause issues with TurboTax.

@CindyKR 

Why would I not want to e-File right away? Why would that cause problems with TurboTax? How can I file by the 1st or 2nd week of February if I don't e-file?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I think what fanfare is saying is to not Efile prior to the IRS opening for electronic filing. The IRS announced yesterday they will open for Efiling on January 29. 

You can go to the site ee-ea directed you to and apply for an IP Pin. If you receive it prior to January 29, you can add the PIN and then EFile. If you don't receive it, you can try and file without the PIN on January 29th.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, you can request an IP PIN.  However, even if one is issued, it will only be effective for 2024, not 2023.

If you feel you might be the victim of identity theft now, the only practical way to protect yourself when filing a 2023 tax return is to e-file as soon as you can (that is, as soon as you have all your required forms and paperwork and your accurate income information.)  If you find that e-filing is blocked, you will have to print and mail your tax return, and hope the IRS doesn't take too long to process it.  

Seems that the IRS uses ID.me to get our IP PIN. I apparently already had an account with ID.me due to verification I needed in setting up a utility account. So, I was able to get a IP PIN in a matter of minutes online by verifying my identity with my D.L. and a scan of my face. Very quick and easy. Thanks for the link! I would not have realized I could do that!

FYI, I got my IP PIN in a few minutes using my ID.me account that communicates with the IRS. Doing it via snail mail would have taken a long time, I'm sure.

Question. I just got my IP PIN easily online using the link and logging into my previous ID.me account. It said,
"You must use the IP PIN on all federal income tax returns 1040 and 1040 PR/SS and any delinquent returns filed during the current calendar year 2024. Don't reveal your IP PIN to anyone other than your tax preparer. New IP PINs are generated each year and can be retrieved from the IP PIN application in early January each year. You will not receive an IP PIN notice."
I understand that to mean my taxes for 2023, too, because they are being filed in 2024.
Am I misunderstanding something?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. The PIN you just received is for anything filed in 2024. You will have a new PIN for year 2025.

Opus17 above said "Yes, you can request an IP PIN.  However, even if one is issued, it will only be effective for 2024, not 2023."  So, I am very confused. Are you saying the IP PIN I just got online is good for filing my 2023 taxes this month or next month in 2024?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IP Pin you received online is good for any filing in calendar year 2024.  In January 2025 you would apply online for a Pin to use for calendar year 2025.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies