Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mom claimed me as a dependent

My mom claimed me as a dependent because I was still in High-school, I’ve since then gotten a job and received a tax return for that job. When I tried to E-File it won’t allow me to so I mailed my tax return in and have not received or heard back. After FINALLY getting ahold of someone they told me that my mom needed to amend her tax return and unclaim me for me, if she does this will I be able to get my return? I’ve been waiting on the money and now I’m hearing I might not even get my return at all. Please help a new adult out :(

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You received some incorrect information from someone.  If you are still in high school, your mother can claim you as a dependent, and on your own tax return you were supposed to say in MY INFO that someone else can claim you as a dependent.    You can be claimed as qualified child dependent until the tax year you turn 19--or until the tax year you turn 24-- if you are a full-time student, no matter whether you had a job or not.

Your mom does not need to amend her return--she was correct to claim you.   You were unable to e-file if you did not answer the question in MY INFO correctly, because you were using your Social Security number and a return had already been filed by your mother that caused your e-file to be rejected.   

The one who is going to need to amend will be you.   But you will need to wait until the IRS has fully processed your tax return.   The IRS might have it under review because of your incorrect answer, so it may take longer for them to process it and send your refund.  Do not try to amend now---not until the IRS has finished with your return.

You can watch for information about your refund on the IRS refund site.   It takes at least four weeks from when you mailed the return before you will be able to see anything on that site.

TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2023 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

And....so you will know for next time----this is the criteria for your mother or parents to use when they are determining whether you can be claimed as a dependent.   If you CAN be claimed, then the rule is that you must say in MY INFO that someone else can claim you.  You can still receive a tax refund even if someone can claim you as a dependent.  Being a dependent does not prevent you from receiving a tax refund.

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2023 tax return as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,700 in 2023.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

Related Information:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You received some incorrect information from someone.  If you are still in high school, your mother can claim you as a dependent, and on your own tax return you were supposed to say in MY INFO that someone else can claim you as a dependent.    You can be claimed as qualified child dependent until the tax year you turn 19--or until the tax year you turn 24-- if you are a full-time student, no matter whether you had a job or not.

Your mom does not need to amend her return--she was correct to claim you.   You were unable to e-file if you did not answer the question in MY INFO correctly, because you were using your Social Security number and a return had already been filed by your mother that caused your e-file to be rejected.   

The one who is going to need to amend will be you.   But you will need to wait until the IRS has fully processed your tax return.   The IRS might have it under review because of your incorrect answer, so it may take longer for them to process it and send your refund.  Do not try to amend now---not until the IRS has finished with your return.

You can watch for information about your refund on the IRS refund site.   It takes at least four weeks from when you mailed the return before you will be able to see anything on that site.

TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2023 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

And....so you will know for next time----this is the criteria for your mother or parents to use when they are determining whether you can be claimed as a dependent.   If you CAN be claimed, then the rule is that you must say in MY INFO that someone else can claim you.  You can still receive a tax refund even if someone can claim you as a dependent.  Being a dependent does not prevent you from receiving a tax refund.

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2023 tax return as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,700 in 2023.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

Related Information:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When the IRS has fully processed your return---you can amend.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

When you amend you will go to My Info.  Click your name and go through the screens to the question that asks if you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  You need to say YES. 

Do not expect quick results from amending. It can take four months or more for the IRS to process an amended return.  

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

And.....hopefully you will not make this mistake again if your parent(s) can claim you next year.   If you make this mistake and file first--before your mom--here is what happens:

If you can be claimed as a dependent and you answer the question in My Info incorrectly, here is what happens if you e-file first:  Your Social Security number goes into the IRS system as having been used.  When your parents try to e-file, their e-file is rejected and they will find it impossible to e-file their own tax return.  Then they will have to print, sign and mail their return and wait for months for it to be processed.  You, meanwhile, will have to file an amended tax return on a special form called a 1040X, which also takes months for the IRS to process.  So make sure you know the correct answer to "Can anyone claim you as a dependent on their tax return?"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies