Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My last name on my w2 is different from what is on my social security card. Is this going to matter or will I get my taxes back?

My w2 has different last name then my ss card is that going to matter? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My last name on my w2 is different from what is on my social security card. Is this going to matter or will I get my taxes back?

It won't make a difference.  Just remember, your name on your social security card has to be the same as that on your 1040.

Here's the guidance from the IRS:

Matching Name on SS Card with Tax Return

mnieves74

Yes it matters.  We are going through this problem right now.  Your W-2 must be fixed by your employer.  Meanwhile you cannot e-file (IRS will reject you).  

Easy fix:  Make sure everything is correct on your return and mail it in with your W-2's.  It will take longer than usual, but it's the only choice you have, aside from waiting for your employer to fix the problem and e-file it when you get the correct W-2.  By then you might need an extension!  Good luck!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You have choices.  The W-2 does not have to be changed by your employer. You also do not have to mail your tax return to the IRS unless you choose to do that. Their systems check the date of birth, last name and social security number to validate who you are.

Even if you want to include your new last name you can use it as the second last name and here are two examples of actions you can take.

• Example 1: Alexandria got married and forgot to change her name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).  Her maiden name was Smith and now it is Jones.  On the tax return you can enter Smith Jones as the last name and the return will be accepted for the name.
  • Example 2: Alexandria got married and recently changed her name with the SSA.  The IRS and SSA exchange information on a regular basis (several times per week at this time of year, but no less than every seven days). If your return rejects with your new married name, you can wait a few days and resubmit the return through e-file.  It will be accepted once the systems sync. There is no limit on how many times a rejected return can be submitted.

@alexandriarogers

@mnieves74

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies