turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My kid is US citizen, living and working abroad for a non US company and pays his taxes entirely abroad. how can he file his taxes?

My kid is a US citizen, living and working abroad for a non US company and pays his taxes entirely abroad. He is making less than $125K a year. He didn't receive W2, how can he file his taxes? for sure he wants to file as he has a federal student loan. Not sure if the 1040 form is the one to use. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My kid is US citizen, living and working abroad for a non US company and pays his taxes entirely abroad. how can he file his taxes?

He will need to file a federal tax return, Form 1040 and include with the federal return a Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income.  TurboTax supports both Form 2555 and Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credits.

IRS Form 2555 - https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-2555

IRS Form 1116 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1116.pdf

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As a US citizen living abroad, your son has to file a US tax return and report his worldwide income. He'll file form 1040.

He may qualify to exclude his foreign earnings from income up to an amount that is adjusted annually for inflation ($120,000 for 2023). In addition, he can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.

See this IRS document.

He can use TurboTax to file his tax return.

Please read this TurboTax Help article.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies