If your application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) was rejected, you may not be eligible for an ITIN. Your documents may be invalid or they may not have received a reply when the IRS asked for more information.
What you should do:
- Read your notice to see why we rejected your application or revoked your ITIN.
- Make sure you don't qualify for a Social Security number (SSN) and you qualify for an ITIN.
- Make sure your documents are correct.
- Send us the information we've requested.
- Send the IRS a new application. Fill it out completely. Answer all the questions. Attach the correct documents. Attach copies of your tax return and paperwork to it.
You may want to:
- Contact the IRS by calling the toll free number on your notice. Call 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you're outside the U.S.
- Obtain an ITIN from Abroad.
- Visit a Taxpayer Assistance Center in the U.S.
- Use an acceptance agent to help you apply for an ITIN. View a list of authorized agents.
-follow this link for additional information-
Thanks for for the reply.
Reason : you didn't include a completed and signed US. Federal income return with your application.
I am kind of confused how to renew and file taxes for 2020 year
Came to know I have to mail tax documents and w7 again but then I cant use TurboTax app right ?
Do I have to go to H&R Block since they have authorized agents who takes care w7 and taxes?
Here are some choices:
The easiest way is to use TurboTax (if you are allowed to file a 1040) to create the return, then take it to a Taxpayer Assistance Center with a W-7. The W-7 applies for the ITIN, which is normally filed with your 1040.
If you can show a person your documentation (passport, etc.) then you avoid having to mail your documents and not having them for some weeks or months.
This can also be done by visiting a CAA (Certifying Acceptance Agent) who can "witness" your documents. Note that some CAAs may want to do your tax return as well as accept your W-7 - you will have to ask. Yes, some H&R Block locations have a CAA, but you have to call and ask.
Please also see these links for more information:
Please see this TurboTax page on the W-7.
Also, please see How do I file with a W-7?
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"