Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jonliles

My Iowa State return says my filing status is Married Filing Separately on Joint Return but my Personal Info section is Married filing Jointly. Started over, same prob.

Support said it should only pull from the My Info section and suggested I delete temporary files, cache, etc. and reboot.  Did that, tried different computers, same problem.

Deleted and started over entire return, still same problem.  Previous tax year was married filing jointly both fed and state both as well.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

My Iowa State return says my filing status is Married Filing Separately on Joint Return but my Personal Info section is Married filing Jointly. Started over, same prob.

TurboTax is likely trying to save you some tax dollars. Please look at line 2 on the IA 1040. See where it says, "Married filing a joint return. (Two-income families may benefit by using status 3 or 4.)"

I have seen other states do this, but TurboTax asked you if you wanted to make the change. Here, apparently, it was so obvious that you would benefit that TurboTax chose option 3 (in my test).

So, likely, there is not a problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your Federal may be MFJ..

BUT

......the selection for the IA tax return has selected to be selected again, right at the very start of the IA interview.

Go thru the IA interview again slowly from the very beginning.  IA does allow you to do MFJ-Federal and MFS-IA, but it is not required, and I wouldn't normally mess with a MFS-IA set if I didn't have to.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies