My income taxes paid does not equal the sum of all...

dunn-jarrett

My income taxes paid does not equal the sum of all of the taxes shown on my W2. How can I confirm that all of the income taxes paid are accounted for?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

only the amounts in box 2 of the w-2 counts as payments (unless you had more than one employer and went over the social security limit)  the amount would show up on line 17 of the 1040 

dunn-jarrett

Thanks for the response on this. I have two W2s, one for me and one for my wife. The amount in "Income taxes paid" does not equal the sum of box 2 of the two W2s. It's pretty confusing because "Income taxes paid" is more than the sum of box 2 from both W2s, but less than the sum of Federal and State (boxes 2 and 17). One of us went over the Social Security limit, so could that explain the difference?

Other taxes could be any of the following:
Self-Employment tax
Unreported SS & Medicare tax
10% Early Distribution of Retirement plans penalty
Advance EIC from W-2
Household Employment tax
Etc.

You might be able to click on the amount and see.

If you are looking at a review or summary screen, those lump a lot of stuff together. So look at the actual 1040 return and actual schedules and make sure they are correct.