Solved: My husband passed away on 2017 and he was the taxpayer. from the questions posed, turbo tax thinks we are both dead. how do i fix this?

denicar

My husband passed away on 2017 and he was the taxpayer. from the questions posed, turbo tax thinks we are both dead. how do i fix this?

IreneS

I'm sorry for your loss.  [You can still file a joint return for the year he died.]

On the Personal info screen, there should be a notation in your husband's information that he passed away and NO such notation in your information. 

To check your entries please follow these instructions:

1. Click on My Info in the black bar on the left of your screen.  
  2. On the Personal Info Summary screen click on the Edit icon next to your name.
  3. In section 3, make sure the last entry has the No button marked.  The language may be a bit confusing because it says "My spouse passed away..." but remember the interview is asked the questions to the Taxpayer and the Taxpayer's spouse (you) is not deceased.  
  4. Click Continue.
  5. You will be taken back to the Personal Info Summary

[Edited | 4/14/2020 |  12:20pm PDT]

IreneS

4. Click Continue.

[Edited | 4/14/2020 |  12:20pm PDT]