turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband passed away 02/18/2016. , why is the form asking for the date I passed away.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherryM

My husband passed away 02/18/2016. , why is the form asking for the date I passed away.

First of all allow me to express my condolences on the passing of your spouse.

The tax filing status after the death of a spouse is fairly straightforward. If your spouse dies during the year, the IRS considers you married for the entire year and you can use the filing status "married filing jointly" when your tax return is prepared.

On the top of form 1040 for your spouse, write "deceased" and your spouse's name and date of death. If there is a personal representative that has been appointed for your deceased spouse, then that person will have to sign the return and if the return is a joint return, you will also sign it. If there is no personal representative then you should sign the return and in the signature area write "filing as surviving spouse".

For the two years following the death of your spouse, if you have a dependent child and meet all the requirements listed below, you can use the filing status "qualifying widow with dependent child".

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SherryM

First of all allow me to express my condolences on the passing of your spouse.

The tax filing status after the death of a spouse is fairly straightforward. If your spouse dies during the year, the IRS considers you married for the entire year and you can use the filing status "married filing jointly" when your tax return is prepared.

On the top of form 1040 for your spouse, write "deceased" and your spouse's name and date of death. If there is a personal representative that has been appointed for your deceased spouse, then that person will have to sign the return and if the return is a joint return, you will also sign it. If there is no personal representative then you should sign the return and in the signature area write "filing as surviving spouse".

For the two years following the death of your spouse, if you have a dependent child and meet all the requirements listed below, you can use the filing status "qualifying widow with dependent child".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies