My husband is a post doctoral researcher under a f...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceno715

My husband is a post doctoral researcher under a fellowship with no forms. How do I fill in his taxes on this site, the answers posted do not work this year?

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

My husband is a post doctoral researcher under a fellowship with no forms. How do I fill in his taxes on this site, the answers posted do not work this year?

Are you trying to report a fellowship? Are you saying he was not issued any forms, such as a 1099-MISC?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
evtran01

Help! I have the same problem with my wife. No forms for the funds that were received. However, we did receive a W2. But the amount does not reflect the amount received. Thanks!

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. According to this IRS link, this is tax free if you meet the following conditions:

• You're a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
  • The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.

If used for any other purpose such as such as room and board, travel, and optional equipment, then these are taxable.  Here is the best way to report these.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the income with a brief explanation such as fellowship money received.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings