turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband inherited mineral rights when his parents passed away. The company sent a Substitute Form 1099-Misc to us. I tried entering the information but we don't own the property, just the mineral rights. Should I use form 1099-Inv.?

The mineral rights are for CO2 gas.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

My husband inherited mineral rights when his parents passed away. The company sent a Substitute Form 1099-Misc to us. I tried entering the information but we don't own the property, just the mineral rights. Should I use form 1099-Inv.?

No, you will not use a Form 1099-DIV to report income from mineral rights.  Mineral rights are considered to be royalty payments and are reported on Schedule E.

To input, your royalty information in TurboTax Self Employed enter royalty in the search box then click on Jump to royalty in the answer window.  Follow the program prompts to enter your royalty information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No, you will not use a Form 1099-DIV to report income from mineral rights.  Mineral rights are considered to be royalty payments and are reported on Schedule E.

To input, your royalty information in TurboTax Self Employed enter royalty in the search box then click on Jump to royalty in the answer window.  Follow the program prompts to enter your royalty information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies