Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-S Rental

Greetings, and TY in advance. 

I have a "Substitute Form 1099-S" from selling a rental property (a former primary residence but rented for 15 years). However, there's no selection for the 1099-S direct inputs, and I have noted the "Sale" of the property in the rental property section of TT Premier 2022. 

My concern is where do I enter the "Gross Proceeds" data, acquired/sold dates, cost of the property, and outstanding mortgage balance, to determine tax liability? 

TY, Franklin

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

1099-S Rental

Form 1099-S (or a substitute 1099-S) is not entered in TurboTax like a 1099-INT form or a W-2 so you won't find an entry screen specifically for the 1099-S form. The information on the form is used to report the sale.

Outstanding mortgage balance does not factor in your rental sale profit or loss. 

As you go through the Rental Sale interview, TurboTax will ask you to confirm prior depreciation. The amount of prior depreciation will be shown. It should not be 0.

• Depreciation expense is an item that landlords may not know about and the fact that when you sell your rental, you have to claim all the previous years’ depreciation expense. This is called Depreciation Recapture and it's taxed in the year of sale.  You may have to pay 25% on your depreciation recapture. See IRS Publication 544 Chapter 3 Depreciation Recapture, page 27.

In TurboTax, you have to indicate you sold the rental property in both the Property Profile section and the Assets/Depreciation section of the program. You will be prompted to enter sales information during the interview in the Assets/Depreciation section of TurboTax. Each asset needs to be sold and assigned a portion of the sales proceeds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies