Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband filed "married filling jointly." He submitted a return and submitted a return for me. My return was much bigger than his, but mine was rejected. How to fix?

I get the Reject Code IND-508-01. Is there a way to remove my husband's return that's already been submitted, since his return was bigger? Or should we just un-submit mine?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My husband filed "married filling jointly." He submitted a return and submitted a return for me. My return was much bigger than his, but mine was rejected. How to fix?

Are you newlyweds?   Sounds like the two of you are unclear on the concept of a joint tax return.   When you file a joint tax return, there is ONE tax return that has all of the information and all of the combined income for both spouses on the same Form 1040.  You do not file one for the husband and one for the wife.  It is ONE tax return---both names go on it.   So your spouse filed incorrectly if he did not enter your information on a "joint" return, and you cannot file because your SSN has been put into the system.

When the original return has been fully processed it will have to be amended to add your income and any other information for yourself that he left out.   You should not try to file your "own" return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

Some information on setting up a joint return correctly:

To begin a new joint return on TurboTax:

When you enter your own information in My Info, you have to answer the question "Were you married?"  If you click the button for Married, then a drop down will appear that asks, "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?"  Then you choose yes to file a joint return.  You would then enter your spouse's information into Personal Info.  Whenever you are entering income information there should then be a spot for you and for your spouse's income information.   Income screens will have spots or ask for income for the spouses by name.

When you prepare a joint return you include all the information for both spouses on the SAME tax return.  Include all of your personal information, all of your income from every source, all dependents (if any), all credits and deductions for both of you.  You get ONE refund with both names on it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

No, you can't remove a return once its filed. If it was incorrectly filed, it can be amended later. If you still wish to file see the options in this FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies