TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I fix e-file reject IND-508-01?

SOLVEDby TurboTax257Updated January 13, 2023

The e-file rejection IND-508-01 means that the first person listed on the return (the primary taxpayer) was listed as the spouse or was used to claim the spouse exemption on another, previously filed tax return.

The primary Social Security number on the return must not be the same as the spouse's Social Security number used on a different tax return with either a filing status of:

  • Married Filing Jointly, or
  • Married Filing Separately (with the spouse exemption claimed)

This error often happens if your spouse has already filed your joint return, or if they filed their own return as Head of Household and put you down as their spouse.

Less commonly, this error can be triggered by an incorrect Social Security number or a fraudulently filed return that used your Social Security number as the "spouse."

If your spouse already filed a return but you still wish to file your own return, go ahead and paper-file it (you won't be able to e-file it because the server will continue to reject it). The IRS will eventually contact both you and your spouse to straighten out your conflicting filing statuses.

On the other hand, if your spouse didn't file your return—or you don't have a spouse—do this instead:

  1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Under Tax Home, select Fix my return
    • Mobile app users: Sign in at TurboTax.com in your mobile browser or another internet-enabled device
  3. On the next screen, select My Info from the left menu (don't select Fix it now)
  4. On the Personal info summary screen, make sure the Social Security number listed for the primary taxpayer is correct (it's a good idea to check it against their Social Security card)
  5. If it's wrong, select Edit, correct the number on the next screen, and select Continue
    • If the primary taxpayer's Social Security number is correct, stop here and skip to the What if my info is correct? section of this article
  6. Select File from the left menu
  7. On the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Don't select Fix my return)
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to proceed with the filing process

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your info. Contact us right away for further assistance.

In the meantime, you won't be able to e-file because your Social Security number has already been accepted. Instead, you'll need to paper-file your return. In the mailed return include a letter explaining your situation and that you suspect someone has used your information to file a fraudulent tax return.

Helpful resources

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads