riarose7

My husband doesn't tell me his SSN#. Because we've separated. But I should choose my states is married. So how can skip to enter t of my husband SSN#? Can I skip with it

macuser_22

You cannot.  The spouses SSN is required when  filing separately.   You can print and mail file and write REFUSED in place of the SSN but you cannot e-file without it.

eroley

You probably want to ask a professional tax advisor or law attorney how to best proceed.  Treat it as a business only and do not let emotions get in the way, would be my best advice. Appearantly there are many under-utilized, eager beavers ready to chop wood in this forum. 

macuser_22

@eroley wrote:

It depends on what your former tax filing status is from 2018, who is listed as head of household income-wise. Did you file together as married last year? I don't believe there is a listing for separated.  Check with your bank as well. 2019 taxes may have already been filed and  any refund sent if any to bank or your home address. Until you are legally divorced, the filing status remains as the last year's status. You probably want to ask a professional tax advisor or law attorney how to best proceed.  Treat it as a business only and do not let emotions get in the way, would be my best advice

That is totally wrong.  2018 has NOTHING to do with the 2019 filing status. Married persons ALWAYS have the option of filing Married Filing Separately - that IS a filing status.    Married persons can switch between filing jointly or separately every year if they want to.    Only married persons that have not lived with their spouse anytime during the last 6 months of the tax year AND maintain a home for their child, foster child or stepchild can file Head of house hold.    Until a person is divorced they can only file Married Jointly, Married Separate or HOH if they qualify - after divorce they file Single or HOH if they qualify.

Where are you getting this nonsense from?