Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband died in 10 Jun 2021 and I didnt file taxes last year and how do i do it now

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My husband died in 10 Jun 2021 and I didnt file taxes last year and how do i do it now

If you have not remarried or have a dependent then you would need to file your 2022 and 2023 tax returns as Single.  For the 2021 tax return you should have filed as Married Filing Jointly since your spouse passed away in 2021.

To complete and file a 2022 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2022 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2022 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.

So very sorry for your loss.   You do not mention whether you filed a 2021 tax return.  For that year, if you still need to file, you can file a joint return.   But you will need to use the CD/download software in order to prepare a 2021 return.  You cannot use online TurboTax to prepare a 2021 return, and you will need to file the return by mail.   For 2022 ----same thing---you will need 2022 desktop (CD/download software) to prepare a 2022 return to mail in.   Only a 2023 return can be prepared using online TurboTax and only a 2023 return can be e-filed.  

You can file a joint return for 2021; for 2022 or 2023 you will file Single unless you still have a dependent child; if you have a dependent child, you will file as a qualified surviving spouse.

For the year ( 2021) that your spouse died, you can still file a joint return.  That way, you will get the 2021 married filing jointly standard deduction of $25,100 (+ $1350 for each spouse 65 or older) which will lower the amount of income you are taxed on.

In My Info, you will need to indicate that your spouse died. When his name is in My Info,  there is a screen early in the interview that asks "Do any of these apply to [name] ?’” where you will do that, and then a drop down will appear where you can enter the date he passed.

If you have qualifying dependent children you will be able to file as a qualifying surviving spouse  (QSS) for the next two years after this tax return.  Post back if you need further help.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2020, 2021, and  2022 is permanently closed.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2020, 2021, or 2022  you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0... 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@user111985 alternatively, you can go to any VITA or AARP site in your community and they can do all your tax returns for free.  You might as well wait until February when tax season opens as the deadline for a refund from a 2021 tax return is April 15, 2025. 

There are some limitations if you have a complex tax return...but for "bread and butter" tax returns, meaning SS, dividends, interest, pensions, 401k and IRA distributions, capital gains, sale of primary residence.  they can do it.  (no investment property sale or investment property income, though)

It is an IRS sponsored program and there is no age or income restriction.  A lot of times these programs operate out of the local library. 

check the search bar in late January when it will populate with the 1000s of sites available throughout the country.  This program completes over 2.5mm tax returns each winter. 

(look way at the bottom of the webpage for the search tools)

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-qualifying-taxpayers

If you have not prepared your own returns before, it's not hard, but I agree with the recommendation to seek out assistance, since the time factor.

For 2021, you would file a joint return, listing you and your spouse's combined income and deductions.  If you want to buy Turbotax, you can download the 2021 version here.   This is installed on your computer, it is not online. 

Products for previous tax years

For 2022, you would file as single, unless you care for qualifying child dependents in your home, in which case you may qualify to file as "qualifying surviving spouse" which has better tax rates (but is only for surviving spouses who care for dependents.)  You can buy the 2022 version of Turbotax to install on your computer from the same place.  

For 2023, you would file as single, unless you can file as qualifying surviving spouse because of your dependents.  For 2023 (the current tax season) you can file either using Turbotax online, or Turbotax purchased from the web site or another store like Amazon or Best Buy, that you install on your computer.  However, the deadline for e-filing is October 15.  If you wait longer than that, you must print your return and file by mail.

For all three years, there are no late penalties if you are due a refund.  If you owe taxes, there is a penalty of 25% of the amount you owe, plus 1% per month since the return was originally due.  If you owe substantial penalties, a tax professional may be able to help you negotiate a lower payment.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies