tammyb73

My husband and i owned a llc together,part of divorce is he is buying me out for a weekly check.do i need to claim this and if so where? also do i need to pay taxes on it

ee-ea

No, if the payments are "a division of marital assets".

AlexanderS08

Generally, payments for divisions of assets are not taxable; however, you should consult your attorney for what this payment is being considered.

Often times in settlement agreements a spouse will agree to treat a payment as Alimony, even if it is for an equitable division of a marital asset like an LLC, as is the case in your scenario. That is why it is crucial to consult your attorney for what the payment should be considered.