Solved: My fiance owes back child support. I have been supporting him the full year. Can I file him as a dependent without child support trying to take my refund for his arrears?

My fiance owes back child support. I have been supporting him the full year. Can I file him as a dependent without child support trying to take my refund for his arrears?

Your refund will not be reduced for your fiancee's child support arrears. The federal Refund Offset Program can be used to take the refund when a married couple files a joint return, and one of the spouses has a debt subject to offset.

Whether you can claim him as a dependent is a different subject. You may be able to claim his exemption, but he could not have had income for the year of $4050 or more.  See this link for more information about claiming an exemption for a girlfriend or boyfriend: http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/can-i-claim-my-girlfriend-or-boyfriend-...

But whether you claim him or not, your refund won't be applied to his child support arrears.