Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gr0mmet1

My Federal return was $500 less than what was calculated on Turbotax. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My Federal return was $500 less than what was calculated on Turbotax. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

Was it exactly $500 less; i.e, that nice round figure?

Make sure you are comparing it to the correct figure.

Look at your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a for your Federal refund amount.  Don't go by any total refund amount that TurboTax might have shown you at the Tax Home, which includes the sum/net of Federal and state together (if applicable).  Does a state refund account for the difference you were expecting?

If you are receiving both Federal and State refunds, make sure which one you received.

Did you have any TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of your Federal refund?  If so, in addition to your product fees there is a $40 service vee ($45 for California filers), however that wouldn't explain all of a $500 difference, since your fees wouldn't have been that high.

If the IRS reduced your refund, you should get a letter from them in 3 weeks or so, but with the Coronavirus situation, correspondence may take longer.   If there was an offset, there "might" be a note at the "Where's My Refund" tool:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Trying to figure out why my federal return is exactly $500 less then projected. Im seeing a lot of people asking the same question with $500 less. I don't understand.Please break it down for me in lamens terms. Thank you

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Could be a lot of things, but I would examine the 500 stimulus payment for a dependent. 

The TurboTax program is accurate, but can only calculate the Recovery Rebate Credit by what you report in the program. 

If the IRS shows a payments was made which you claimed as not received, or the IRS determines a dependent on your return should not be claimed, that could adjust your refund by 500. 

Please look at your 1040 line 30 to see the amount of credit the program calculated. 

The IRS will send you a letter explaining the adjustment. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had this as well, but I am more like $1400.00 from the number that was projected and the number that is on my tax return as well.  Any help would be appetited. 

@joshua-spain wrote:

I had this as well, but I am more like $1400.00 from the number that was projected and the number that is on my tax return as well.  Any help would be appetited. 

Does the IRS website indicate that you were sent less than what was reported on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 34? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If your refund is short $1,400 then that is because you said you did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment and the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit that was entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

Go to this IRS website for your tax account to see if the 3rd stimulus payment is entered - https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $1,400 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies