Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ryan6178

My federal income tax was rejected twice because my partners name was incorrect (did not match SSN). This was fixed and it was still rejected? Thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

My federal income tax was rejected twice because my partners name was incorrect (did not match SSN). This was fixed and it was still rejected? Thoughts?

What is the reject code?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ryan6178

R0000-503-02

We checked twice her SSN and Name. We married in 2023, but she has yet to change her last name with the Social Security Administration. We used the name on her SS card.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Interesting. This means the information does not match what is on file with Social Security. The last 4 digits of the social security number and first 4 letters of the last name must match what is on file. If she hasn't changed her name yet, it should be her maiden name. Does she have two middle names that social security could think is part of a last name?

How do I fix e-file reject R0000-503-02? - TurboTax support

ryan6178

She does have a middle name. She was also married prior. I wonder if that is why. Despite what is on her SS card, is it possible the IRS is recognizing here full hyphenated last name? Note the name on the SS card is her former married name. Can we find that out somehow. And I absolutely appreciate that you are willing to help me with this.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If here last name is hyphenated, this could be the problem.  For instance: Smith-Jones. The IRS will be matching the last four digits of the ssn to Smit. If you enter the last name as Jones, it will be trying to match Jone. 

If this is the case, make that change and re-submit. If it is rejected again, you can try to contact the Social Security office, but I think it would be easier to just try this route first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies