Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My employee did not withhold my FICA (social security and medicare). I already filed my taxes. What should I do?

Similar situation.

Got my H1B on Oct 1st 2022. Have not witheld social and medicare taxes. Have requested for W2C but company is saying it'll take 8-10 weeks. 

I live in California, is April 18th the due date or Oct 16th this year? 

Thanks! 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

My employee did not withhold my FICA (social security and medicare). I already filed my taxes. What should I do?

April 18 is the filing deadline but you can request an extension until October 16. if you owe taxes though at this point, you should send in the tax due (if you owe taxes) now to avoid penalties and interest later on this unpaid tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
taxxhelp
Returning Member

Hello,

I am in a similar situation where my employer did not withhold FICA taxes from my pay in 2022, except I have since left the company and am no longer working there. Should I still request a corrected W-2 from my old employer and file an amended return using the corrected form?

Thanks!

That is what I'm doing. 

My previous employer asked for a check for the unpaid amount. Once I submit that ill get a W2C using which I can file my taxes. 

taxxhelp
Returning Member

Thanks. Since the April deadline has already passed, will there be a penalty or interest on the late amended return? I have already filed my original return on time, but just now realized that FICA was not deducted so I will need to correct that after the deadline.

I filed for an extension before Apr 18th. So have till Oct to file taxes. 

taxxhelp
Returning Member

Thanks! After I get the corrected W-2 from my employer and amend my federal tax return, do I need to also amend the state tax return? 

Hey Ashwin, I am in the same boat as you are. What was the final outcome?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies