Solved: My EIC qualifying stepchild is 17 and when trying to file it says it doesn't due to she is over 17, in your instructions and the 1040 instructions states under 19 yrs

MORENOJF

My EIC qualifying stepchild is 17 and when trying to file it says it doesn't due to she is over 17, in your instructions and the 1040 instructions states under 19 yrs

jerry2000
Alumni

I think you are misreading what you see. A 17 year old does qualify for the EIC, but a 17 year old does not qualify for the Child Tax Credit which is a completely separate thing.

jerry2000
Alumni

MORENOJF

thank you! yes I was misreading. thanks again for the explanation