Solved: My EIC qualifying stepchild is 17 and when trying to file it says it doesn't due to she is over 17, in your instructions and the 1040 instructions states under 19 yrs

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MORENOJF

My EIC qualifying stepchild is 17 and when trying to file it says it doesn't due to she is over 17, in your instructions and the 1040 instructions states under 19 yrs

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
jerry2000
Alumni

My EIC qualifying stepchild is 17 and when trying to file it says it doesn't due to she is over 17, in your instructions and the 1040 instructions states under 19 yrs

I think you are misreading what you see. A 17 year old does qualify for the EIC, but a 17 year old does not qualify for the Child Tax Credit which is a completely separate thing.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jerry2000
Alumni

I think you are misreading what you see. A 17 year old does qualify for the EIC, but a 17 year old does not qualify for the Child Tax Credit which is a completely separate thing.

View solution in original post

MORENOJF

thank you! yes I was misreading. thanks again for the explanation
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings