turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My driver license is expired and i have no state ID .can i still file my tax return ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL

My driver license is expired and i have no state ID .can i still file my tax return ?

Yes, you can still file your return but, depending on the state, you may have to file by mail.

For most states, this information is not required in order to efile your taxes, but could help speed up the processing of your return and will not affect your return’s submission. If your state won't accept an efiled return without the State ID/Driver's License, you will have to file the state return by mail.  

When you come to the screen that asks for your state ID or Driver's License, leave it blank and select "Continue".  If the program does not permit you to efile or file by mail, you will have to Contact Us for one-on-one support.

In an effort to help protect your identity and fight tax Fraud, the IRS and State tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver’s license or state issued ID number. Omitting any of this information may delay return and refund processing.

Some states, however, do require an ID to be provided in order to e-file (e.g. Illinois and Alabama).

For these states (and others) the following website provides information on getting a State-issued ID: DMV.orgSelect the License and ID tab, then the Identification cards option from the menu.

For additional information, you can view the IRS information on the New Security Safeguards. or to see if your state is participating, please contact your state revenue agency.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies