Solved: My daughter was 24 last year but was a full time s...

debster_c

Can I file as Head of Household even though my single adult son, who lives with me, earned more than $4150 in 2018?

MinhT

If your adult son earns more than $4,150 in 2018, you cannot claim him as a dependent and as you have no dependent, you cannot file as Head of Household.

MinhT

It also depends upon how old he is, and whether he was a full time student in 2018.
debster_c

He's 24 and was not a full time student.  
MinhT

Then you cannot claim him as a dependent as he earned more than $4,150 in 2018.
debster_c

Thanks.  That's what I thought, although a tax accountant keeps insisting otherwise.  Yikes!
barbgris

My daughter was 24 last year but was a full time student.  She earned like $8,000 working part-time summers and weekends.  Can I claim her a dependent?  Or at least her medical expenses and tuition and books I paid?