dashertopatches

My daughter hasn't worked all year and her husband left her in April. Can we put her on our taxes to get the stimulus payment from December. We are claiming her .

A dependent age 17 or older is not eligible for a stimulus payment.

You will not get stimulus money for claiming your daughter if she is over the age of 16.  And if she is claimed as a dependent SHE will not be eligible for stimulus money since dependents do not get stimulus checks.  

There are two kinds of dependents--qualifying child and qualifying relative.  If your daughter meets the criteria for either of those kinds of dependents then she can be claimed----but all you "get" for claiming her is a $500 credit that will lower your own tax bill.  You will not get extra stimulus money  -- that is only for children under the age of 17.  

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4300  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?