Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My dad is the person who signed up for ACA. I was on the coverage as a dependent. Do I still have to fill out 8962?

My return is getting rejecting. I did not receive the 1095-A form. My dad got the form in his name and he claimed the credit.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My dad is the person who signed up for ACA. I was on the coverage as a dependent. Do I still have to fill out 8962?

Are you being claimed as a dependent on you dad's 2021 tax return? 

If so, did you check the box stating "Someone can claim you as a dependent" on your 2021 tax return? 

You can verify this by looking at your Form 1040, first page, "Standard Deduction" in the middle of the page.

This check box is available in turbotax  "Personal Data"  >  "You and your family".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

Yes ... if you are NOT a dependent on his return but share an ACA policy with him then you MUST enter the info on the 1095-A in your return  HOWEVER you must allocate how much of the credit you will claim on your return.   If dad is taking 100% then you will take 0%.   Of course the IRS allows you to divide the total in any way you want between your return and dad's  ... you both need to agree to the percentages each of you will use as long as they total up to 100%.    I find the child taking 100% is better than the parent ... talk it over with your dad. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies