Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

techdif

My child had 3 or 4 different employers last year, lost all but 1 w2, and can't remember where all she worked. Can we look them up by social security number?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My child had 3 or 4 different employers last year, lost all but 1 w2, and can't remember where all she worked. Can we look them up by social security number?

First, file an extension for your daughter.

We don't know if she is required to file , but in case she is, then you will have at least filed the initial paperwork (if not paid any tax due). And if she is due a refund, then this makes sure that her status is in order for when you do file.

Since she can't contact the employers to get the W-2, you can do the following, because the companies should have sent copies of all the W-2s to the IRS.

See the following discussion:

If you can't get the information otherwise, the best answer is to ask the IRS for a transcript. The transcript that you want is the Tax Account transcript, because this transcript will show (among other things) your taxable income and all payment types, i.e., what your employer reported paying you in 2015. From this you can file a 2016 tax return.

Go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. If you can, try to order the transcript online. However, this can be difficult, because the IRS may have trouble validating your identity. If so, then switch to ordering a transcript by mail using the form 4506-T

In either case, the transcript will probably be mailed to you (sometimes it's available in real time, but they keep removing that feature because of hackers). What you want is the following:

* "Tax Account Transcript"

* for year ending in 12/31/2016

If you have to paper file the 4506-T (because online wouldn't work), then be sure to sign the form before you fax (preferable) or mail it.

The turnaround is pretty quick - perhaps 2 weeks

View solution in original post

2 Replies

First, file an extension for your daughter.

We don't know if she is required to file , but in case she is, then you will have at least filed the initial paperwork (if not paid any tax due). And if she is due a refund, then this makes sure that her status is in order for when you do file.

Since she can't contact the employers to get the W-2, you can do the following, because the companies should have sent copies of all the W-2s to the IRS.

See the following discussion:

If you can't get the information otherwise, the best answer is to ask the IRS for a transcript. The transcript that you want is the Tax Account transcript, because this transcript will show (among other things) your taxable income and all payment types, i.e., what your employer reported paying you in 2015. From this you can file a 2016 tax return.

Go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. If you can, try to order the transcript online. However, this can be difficult, because the IRS may have trouble validating your identity. If so, then switch to ordering a transcript by mail using the form 4506-T

In either case, the transcript will probably be mailed to you (sometimes it's available in real time, but they keep removing that feature because of hackers). What you want is the following:

* "Tax Account Transcript"

* for year ending in 12/31/2016

If you have to paper file the 4506-T (because online wouldn't work), then be sure to sign the form before you fax (preferable) or mail it.

The turnaround is pretty quick - perhaps 2 weeks

Filing a request for extension of time won't do anything for you.
Transcript request is worth a try. Use the phone number 800-908-9946

---

OR

How much income did she have? is she required to file, If not you can file for refund of withholding.

File her tax return with the one W-2 you do have. IRS will correct her return to include the other W-2s. If tax is due, she will get a bill.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies