turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lgause20

My boyfriend is 31 and disabled. Can I claim him on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Did he receive any disability benefits or other 2016 income besides Social Security?
lgause20

No. Only Social Security

yes, he did receive disability benefits.  Can I claim him?

He’s was in the military and gets a service connection
MichaelDC

Yes, you can claim a boyfriend or girlfriend as a dependent on your federal income taxes if that person meets the IRS definition of a "qualifying relative." 

Don't worry about the word "relative".  That can be any unrelated person who passes the following tests concerning residency, income, support and status.

• Do they live with you? Your boyfriend must live at your residence all year. However, if your living situation violates local law, you cannot claim that individual as a dependent. In some states, "cohabitation" by unmarried people is against the law.
  • Do they make less than $4,050? They cannot have a gross income of more than $4,050 and be claimed by you as a dependent. For purposes of this test, the gross income of an individual who is permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year doesn’t include income for services the individual performs at a sheltered workshop
  • Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of their total support each year. 

The following requirements apply to all dependents: 

• Are they a citizen or resident? The person must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, a U.S. resident, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. Many people wonder if they can claim a foreign-exchange student who temporarily lives with them. The answer is maybe, but only if they meet this requirement.
  • Are you the only person claiming them as a dependent? You can’t claim someone who takes a personal exemption for himself or claims another dependent on his own tax form.

When you say gross income does that only mean money he actually worked for or does that include disability benefits?

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

No, the Social Security Disability benefits that your boyfriend is receiving are excluded from being calculated as gross income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
helton701

No

@Japrisimpson  What type of disability income?  if it's from an employer plan, it must be counted.

Trans
Returning Member

My boyfriend is 37 and disabled can I claim him on my taxes

Trans
Returning Member

He receives SSI benefits

Trans
Returning Member

My boyfriend is 37 and he receives SSI disability benefits can I claim him as a dependent on my tax refund?  We've been living together for 13 years almost

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

Your partner may qualify as a qualifying relative.

At the screen Personal info summary, scroll down and click Add a dependent

TurboTax software will ask questions and determine whether the individual qualifies an a qualifying relative under IRS dependency rules.

The qualifications for a qualifying relative are:

The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

The person either

• (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who don't have to live with you, or
  • (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,300.  (SSI disability benefits do not qualify as taxable income.)

You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

@Trans 

[Edited 01/31/2022 6:47 PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies