Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My bf worked for 5 months 2023 but lost his job and worked for another month & got laid off. I supported him the rest of the year & paid for everything. Can I claim him?

I paid for all groceries, Ubers, gas, rent and any other expenses and non essentials through the rest of the year. Even when he was getting paid I was paying for groceries.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My bf worked for 5 months 2023 but lost his job and worked for another month & got laid off. I supported him the rest of the year & paid for everything. Can I claim him?

If his gross income in 2023 was $4,700 or more you cannot claim him as a dependent.

We need more information.   First---if he had more than $4700 in 2023 when he was working, no one else can claim him as a dependent.

Second...if he did have less than $4700 of income, then you cannot claim him unless he lived with you for the entire year in 2023.   

And...if he collected unemployment compensation---that income counts toward the limit of $4700.  

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies