Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Aunt has Dementia and I have POA. How do I get her tax info mailed to me?? We cannot find them.

I have been trying to find an answer to this seemingly simple question but am having trouble. I would greatly appreciate any assistance. 

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My Aunt has Dementia and I have POA. How do I get her tax info mailed to me?? We cannot find them.

There are no easy answers for you.   Assuming you have already done everything possible to go through whatever papers she had at home to search for information.   If you have POA you can go to her bank and get banking records to see where her income has been coming from----Social Security?  A pension?   A retirement account(s)?  etc. etc.  Then you  are going to have to do your best to track down addresses and contact information for any custodians of pension or retirement accounts.   If you call them and explain your situation they can help you with the steps needed to submit a copy of your POA to them to get copies of most recent statements, etc.    There may be 1099R's that you need.

Contact Social Security (if she gets SS) to see what you need to do with them to get records.   You might need her SSA1099.

Do you already have information regarding health insurance for her?   Is she in a nursing home?  What information does the home have?   If you have POA they must share that information with you.

You might need advice from an elder law attorney on getting hold of income tax records.   In some areas you can get at least one session of such advice for free.  Google legal help for seniors in your area.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

There are no easy answers for you.   Assuming you have already done everything possible to go through whatever papers she had at home to search for information.   If you have POA you can go to her bank and get banking records to see where her income has been coming from----Social Security?  A pension?   A retirement account(s)?  etc. etc.  Then you  are going to have to do your best to track down addresses and contact information for any custodians of pension or retirement accounts.   If you call them and explain your situation they can help you with the steps needed to submit a copy of your POA to them to get copies of most recent statements, etc.    There may be 1099R's that you need.

Contact Social Security (if she gets SS) to see what you need to do with them to get records.   You might need her SSA1099.

Do you already have information regarding health insurance for her?   Is she in a nursing home?  What information does the home have?   If you have POA they must share that information with you.

You might need advice from an elder law attorney on getting hold of income tax records.   In some areas you can get at least one session of such advice for free.  Google legal help for seniors in your area.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you so much for answering me and for your advice. I really appreciate this.

Yes, we have her health insurance info and almost everything we need. She is now in an assisted living facility because her son was taking care of her and he suddenly passed away, dementia got worse and here we are . We are handling his taxes and all of his estate now as well.  

I am going to contact social security and see what they suggest and if they have her records and what I'll need to do to get those. 

Your direction and help is so greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much :).

@emilycollier7 Best of luck....I totally get what you are going through and it is hard.   You may find yourself spending a lot of time on the phone and a lot of time on the internet, learning to navigate the systems.  I have been going through a situation with a very ill family member for months now, and have a foot high pile of paperwork to show for it......

I'm so sorry. It is tough. I've googled everything 10,000 ways and been on the IRS website and looked at a ton of forms. It all just leads in a circle but you have definitely helped me.  Good luck to you as well and Thank you agan.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies