Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrc71094

My 2019 return was rejected for not matching my 2018 return, but my 2018 return was rejected without my knowing. How do I determine the original error on the 2018 return?

While preparing my 2019 returns, I received an error reporting that my AGI did not match the reported amount for 2018 (IND-031-04). After confirming that the number input for 2019 was correct, further investigation revealed that my 2018 return had been rejected several months after the date I originally filed it. Thinking this was the likely cause for the error on the 2019 return, I tried to follow the email notifying me of the original error on the 2018 return, but was redirected to the error on the 2019 return.

My goal now is to determine the cause of the problem with my 2018 return and paper file it with the details of my saved 2018 digital return plus any necessary corrections. This should enable me to move forward with my 2019 return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 2019 return was rejected for not matching my 2018 return, but my 2018 return was rejected without my knowing. How do I determine the original error on the 2018 return?

Procedure:

1) Go ahead and  E-File your 2019 tax return now...since your 2018 file was rejected, you use a "0"  (zero) for your 2018 AGI...since the IRS didn't actually get/save your 2018 file..you use a zero.

2) For your 2018 file , you have to print it out and mail it in yourself.  If you have a state to file too..you'll have to print that out and mail it in too (to your State's tax department...not the IRS).   IF your file in your account is actually complete, you can save it to a PDF, print it out, and mail-file just the form 1040, and any other forms that have an attachment sequence number in the upper-rt corner of the first page  (Worksheets are not filed).  Don't forget to sign/date, and include any W-2 forms + any other tax forms that show tax withholding on them.

IF you didn't complete your 2018 file, or have errors to correct (or change of address since last year) then you'll have to buy/download/install the TTX Desktop software on a full MAC or Windows computer to finish off your 2018 taxes...no E-filing allowed for 2018 taxes at this late date...only print and mail by yourself.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Another FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

Unless you have the original Reject code...there's no way to determine why 2018 was rejected...double check you SSN's listed to make sure they show the right person/SSN are connected (if you are married, or have dependents) .  Usually, the rejection is for the SSN or the prior year AGI....(but you don't need your 2017 AGI to mail-file your 2018 file now.)

Due to the Pandemic...mail-filed tax returns may not be processed for many-many months...so don't expect fast processing.  Use a tracking method at eh Post Office Service counter (Certified...or Registered mail..if they are open)...so that you have a printed record of the date you mailed them.  Make sure you keep a second paper copy yourself in you own tax folder.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I have the same problem + related. There is a way to go to IRS.GOV and get more info. For me it would not let me e file my 2019 since they had no 2018 AGI. By phone Turbotax  help told me to enter zero for my 2018 agi. Waiting for next info. I doubt if this helps, sent anyway. Good luck. I have been trying for 5 months, filed by paper 3 times with no response to any of it. ML

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies