turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 20 year old daughter lived with me while she was a full time student. I do not claim her as a dependent. I should be able to still claim head of household but can't.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My 20 year old daughter lived with me while she was a full time student. I do not claim her as a dependent. I should be able to still claim head of household but can't.

If you are not married and do not have a qualifying person as a dependent then you cannot have Head of Household filing status.  You can only file as Single.

TurboTax support FAQ for Head of Household - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-filing-status/qualify-head-household...

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Is there a reason you are not claiming her as a dependent?

You cannot claim head of household if you do not have a dependent.  In order to claim Head of Household, you would need to claim her.

To qualify, you have to meet certain criteria. To file as Head of Household, you have to:

• Pay for more than half of the expenses for a qualifying household
  • Be considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year
  • Have a qualifying child or dependent  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

your daughter must indicate on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent if you or anyone else is eligible to claim her

you can claim him/her as a qualifying child if all these tests are met
• he/she has the same principal abode as you for more than ½ the tax year. Temporary absences like for school are ignored
• if he/she is not a full-time student, he's under 19 at the end of the tax year. If a full-time student, he's under 24 at the end of the tax year.
• he/she hasn't provided over ½ his own support
• he/she didn't file a joint return unless there was no tax liability but merely filing joint to facilitate refund of taxes withheld or estimates paid

or you can claim him/her as a qualifying relative if all these tests are met
• his/her gross income for 2023 less than $4,700
• you provided over ½ his/her support
• he/she isn't a qualifying child of another taxpayer

support

• Includes amounts spent for food, lodging, clothing, education, medical and dental expenses, recreation, transportation and other necessities

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies