richard-kilton

My 17 year old son worked part time this year. Where do I enter his W2 information or do I have to do his taxes separate?

Marketstar

You should not claim your child's W-2 or self-employment income on your return even if you claim him as a dependent.

Your dependent may not be required to file his/her own return, but may elect to do so to obtain a refund of his withholding(s).

He can walk through this toolhttps://www.irs.gov/uac/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return to determine if he is required to file

If the dependent files his own return with TurboTax, he should check the box Someone else can claim me on their tax return in the personal information section.

See How Do I Add a Dependent's W-2 On My Return?

To enter his W-2 on his own return:

• Type in w2 in the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass

• Click the jump to w2 link in the search results.

• Follow the onscreen instructions to enter